your wedding logo

header banner

Practical information

In this section you will find some practical information for planning your wedding in Greece – in case you wish further info, feel free to contact us.

When is the best time to make your wedding in Greece?

As you can see in the chart below, July and August are rather hot months in Greece (and quite crowded in the tourist destinations as well).

The best time is therefore either on May/June or September/October!


You may check also the weather forecasts in Greek Meteorological Service website


Legal papers for civil weddings in Greece

For a legal wedding which will also be accepted in your home country the following documents have to be presented originally and with Apostille stamp: 

  • Full birth certificates of both parties
    Must be issued within 6 months before the wedding day. The couple is obligated to obtain the full version of the documents in A4; no shorter version will be accepted. Both parents full names are required.

  • Certificate of Non-impediment to marry for both parties
    This document confirms that you have not been married and that you are free to marry. This document is available from your local registrar and it must not be issued more than 3 or 6 months (depending on country) before your wedding day. Please note that 2 certificates are required: One document with the groom’s name on top and one with the bride’s name on top.

  • Decree Absolute
    In case of one or both parties having been divorced you are obligated to
    obtain this certificate.
  • Spouse’s death certificate and previous marriage certificate
    If you are widowed you are obligated to obtain this certificate.
  • Deed Poll certificate or Statutory Declaration
    If you have changed your name in the past. Please note this includes divorcees who have reverted to their maiden name.

  • Adoption certificate
    In case of one or both parties having been adopted you are obligated to obtain this certificate.In addition to above documents, you need the following without Apostille stamp:
    Passport or ID copy of both parties.

The above documents have to be proofed for authenticity by the ‘Apostille’ stamp. The “Haager Apostille” certifies the copy as a legal document, which has to be presented in person.

Apostille stamp
An Apostille is a certificate issued by a designated authority in a country where the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, Apostille Convention, is in force. Apostille’s authenticate the seals and signatures of officials on public documents such as birth certificates, notarials, court orders, or any other document issued by a public authority so that they can be recognized in foreign countries that are parties to the Convention.

Please note:
All documents must be translated into the Greek language, as all names and information have to appear in the Cyrillic alphabet. The translations  (divorce decrees or name changes with supplement charge) will be done here in Greece, by the wedding planner or hotel. Please scan the documents, including the attached Apostille stamp, and send them by email or fax for review no later than 6 weeks before your wedding. Once your copies have been approved, it is now time to post them.  We recommend sending the documents with a courier service such as DHL, UPS, FedEx etc. All documents will be kept by the local registrar’s office, that’s why it’s important that you get certified copies of your birth entries.

*Please contact the wedding planner or hotel to confirm the appropriate legal papers.

Religious ceremonies

Religious ceremonies are possible for most religions and/or doctrines. However, in this case you should choose first the destination and then get in contact with our local suppliers (either hotels or wedding planners) who will assist you and guide you through the necessary procedures, since there are some differentiations regarding documents. You may also contact us anytime to ask for some first guidelines!

Registration of the Marriage

All marriages in Greece, whether civil or religious, must be registered at the local Registrar’s Office / Office of Vital Statistics within 40 days following the ceremony.

Registration can be done by the bride or groom, or by any individual who is in possession of a power of
attorney signed before a Notary Public giving them the authority to register the marriage.

Once registered, a Marriage Certificate will be issued within three days and can be picked up or sent via the mail.


• You should take the usual safety precautions you would in any urban or tourist area during a visit to Greece. Pick-pocketing and purse-snatching may occur at popular tourist sites and on public transportation – especially the Metro.

• The emergency line in Greece are 112 for life-threatening emergencies (this is a Europe-wide emergency number and has English-speaking operators), 100 for the Police, 166 for an Ambulance, and 199 for the Fire Brigade.


Embassies – Consulates

You may find the full list of all Embassies and Consulates in the official website of the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs



• Before visiting Greece it would be useful to have a look at customs regulations* referring to:

• Currency declaration upon arrival: According to EU law, if you’re carrying cash valued at € 10,000
or greater, you are required to declare that sum to the authorities of the Member State you are
entering or exiting. Therefore, upon arrival at a Greek airport and prior to exiting the Baggage Claim
area, it may be necessary for you to proceed to the Customs Office for a currency declaration.

• Alcohol and tobacco: When travelling from one EU country to another, you can transport tobacco
and alcohol products for personal use but not for resale. Under EU law, you do not have to prove
that the goods are for your personal use if you are carrying quantities below than those defined on
the EU website.

• Restrictions of animal products: When traveling within the EU, transportation of animal products
does not fall under general restrictions since all EU countries have to adhere to the same strict
veterinary standards. If, however, you are transporting meat or dairy products and are not travelling
from an EU country, there is danger that you may enter with animal diseases.

• Animals and plants: When travelling within the EU you have the right to transport animals and
plants. However, given that the majority of EU countries have strict rules in place regarding the
transportation of endangered species and products derived from them, you will need a permit to
travel with them.


For anything else, feel free to contact us for consultation from our reliable partners, without any obligation from your side! From our side we will do anything possible to assist you.